Last month at the TILTS symposium at the University of Texas, the twitter stream generated some discussion around the need for tool reviews, e.g., in the Digital Research Tools (DiRT) wiki. One suggestion was to incorporate developing reviews into coursework. I’d be interested in organizing a session that figured out how to do that. Questions to consider include:
- What level of student? Graduate? Undergraduate?
- Are there criteria or templates for a good review? For example, what projects use this tool? Can we cross-reference it with other resources, e.g., DHAnswers.
- What methods or process could we establish to help reviewers?
- How could we turn a review into an individual or group assignment? How do we scaffold this task?
- Can we prioritize tools to cover?
This idea is connected with another project in which I’ve been involved, DHCommons which seeks to help isolated digital humanists. It also may connects with some other sessions that I’ve seen proposed, e.g.,